I still haven’t decided whether Craigslist is my friend or enemy… Kidding, totally kidding! I scour my local Craigslist frequently in search of reasonably priced, sometimes free, furniture in need of a little love! It’s truly amazing what a little paint and new fabric can do to a piece!
I found two large, end chairs a little more pricey that I was wanting to pay originally, but they were in great shape. I know this style would perfectly suite some people, just not me! I thought they were pretty hideous. And of course, for my love of neutrals and white furniture, I knew they would transform right before my very eyes!
My absolute favorite paint is Valspar in swiss coffee from Lowes. I use it for just about everything I paint! It’s a beautiful, rich white. I skipped the primer and got right to painting. I left the original fabric on because I attempted to remove it, but it had a super strong, commercial grade glue on it and it wasn’t budging. I didn’t want to waste a lot of time ripping off fabric, and since it was in good condition I knew I could just fabric right over it. So, it didn’t matter if I got a little bit of paint on it, and this allowed me to get in all the nooks and crannies without worry. I gave it a good two coats of paint, allowing it to fully dry in between coats.
Oh, did I mention that this was my FIRST fabric attempt on any piece of furniture? Yup, it’s true! I got a little scared at times, but I took my time and everything worked out just fine! I opted for a neutral drop cloth from Lowes. Quite honestly, it’s such a great alternative to neutral fabric.. it’s super affordable and durable! To begin, I took one end of the drop cloth and edged it up to the edge of the right side of the chair, and draped it over to the left side. I pulled it taught by hand and began to push it between the edges, kind of outlining where I would be stapling. I grabbed my staple gun and stapled each side into place, front and back, and cut off any excess from the sides. Now, onto the bottom… I simply left enough fabric to completely over the bottom and lip one side over so it would fray, and stapled into place. The bottom cushion was much easier to do just because I simply laid the fabric over it and cut the design out and stapled into place.
For the trim, I attempted to save the original and fabric over the roping, but wasn’t having much luck with it. Again, since I had never done this before I played around with a few different options, but opted with just cutting strips of the drop cloth and rolling each side in and hot gluing into place. I then would measure the each part that needed trim and glued each one into place with my hot glue gun. Since this was a set, I did the exact same thing for the remaining chair. I must admit, the second chair turned out a smidge better than the first just because I felt more comfortable with what I was doing. Neither chair is perfect, but I’m so pleased with how they turned out!
My best advice for anyone attempting a furniture makeover completely for the first time, is to just be patient and take your time. What worked for me, may not work for you. The key is finding a technique that works for you! Good luck and have fun with it!
Sharing this project on these fabulous blogs!